Berkeley County EMS Paramedic (Full-Time)
Job Types: Full-Time
**Full-Time openings are 24-hour shifts on a 24/48 schedule.
Salary: $45,047.00 to $51,804.00 /year
- Paid time off
- Health insurance
- Dental insurance
- Retirement benefits or accounts
- Employee discounts
Job Summary and Essential Functions
This position typically provides primary medical care to the residents of Berkeley County and ensures the safety and welfare of patients.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Responds to 9-1-1 calls for emergency medical services, special operations such as rescue scenes, hazardous materials incidents, bombs/bomb threats, crime scenes, mass casualty incidents, terrorist incidents, inclement weather events, etc.
- Performs safe operation of EMS vehicles and follows all applicable Federal, State and Local rules on the operation of EMS vehicles.
- Administers assessments and develops treatment plans as outlined by the current State curriculum for a Paramedic.
- Performs upkeep of the ambulance, EMS station, equipment and supplies to maintain acceptable operating condition.
- Communicates effectively to all applicable medical and non-medical agencies.
- Attends training and maintains all applicable local, State and Federal training requirements.
- Attends all EMS related functions.
- Follows the directives contained within the local, State and Federal rules, regulations and mandates.
- Collects billing and patient care information.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Minimum Requirements to Perform Work:
- High School diploma or equivalent; required;
- Associate's Degree in EMS or other healthcare related field; preferred;
- National Registry Certification or ability to acquire within 1 year of State licensure; required;
- SC Paramedic Certification or ability to obtain reciprocity; required;
- 1 year experience; preferred.
- Must have or be able to obtain within 30 days of relocation from out of state; and maintain a valid South Carolina Driver's License and maintain a safe driving record;
- Must have and maintain American Heart Association (AHA) Basic Life Support (BLS) certification;
- Must have and maintain AHA Advanced Cardiac Life Support (ACLS) certification;
- AHA Pediatric Advanced Life Support (PALS) preferred; or will obtain within 6-months of hire;
- National Association of EMTs (NAEMT) Pre-Hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS) preferred; or will obtain within 6-months of hire;
- Must have the following National Incident Management System certifications (ICS 100, 200, 700); ICS 800 preferred.
- Complete Departmental testing that may be administered during interview;
- Completion of a criminal background check on selected applicant if a current one (less than 3 years old) is not on file.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Skill in using small office equipment and personal computers including Word, Excel and EMS charting preferred.
- Ability to function in cramped and confined spaces, unsanitary conditions or hazardous environments such as those created by fire, traffic collisions, mechanical collapse, weather and human acts.
- Ability to use or repair medium equipment and machinery.
This position requires the employee to sit, stand and use hands to handle, finger, grasp or operate objects, tools or controls; reach with hands and arms; use mental acuity; balance, climb, crouch, kneel and stoop; and walk, talk and hear. The employee must occasionally lift up to one hundred eighty (180) pounds with one assistant. Cardiovascular conditioning should be sufficient for the extended performance of cardiac chest compressions, maneuvering and lifting of the gurney and other transport tools, and transport of medical equipment and patient belongings. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
The work is regularly performed in a safe and secure work environment that may periodically have unpredicted requirements or demands. Normal schedule is 24/48 hour work rotation on assigned unit; may also work on a 12-hour shift rotation. Scheduled hours/days, job location, duties and any other information contained herein are subject to change. May be required to work extra hours and to perform extra or different duties during emergency situations.